21 October 2004

Only I could bring you down

A while back I said I'd talk about my favourite Firefox extensions, which I'll attempt to do today. If you don't have Firefox, you're a retard. It is so hilariously superior to Internet Explorer that Billy Gates is probably crapping his gold-weaved drawers thanks to it.

Anyhow, here's an image of my Firefox window, mind you that all this stuff isn't usually open at the same time, it's just open now for showing. I've conveniently numbered the different extensions so it's simple for you to witness. Note the amazing level of kindness I'm displaying here? It's all for you.

1. Down Them All - VERY good tool to download images, videos, entire pages, .txt files, etc. It scans the current page (or the entire site if you want), brings up a list of all the items available for download, and lets you pick and choose what you want. Works great for sites like 4chan. *smirk*

2. Sage - Awesome tool that's integrated right into the browser for organizing and viewing RSS feeds. If you don't know what an RSS feed is, basically what it is is a small text-based preview of a site's updates, and organizes it into topics so you can jump right to the part you want. All of this and it doesn't even go to the site until you want to, as it just sits in a (hidden) pane on the left like the bookmarks bar. Great for viewing RSS feeds like mine.

3. ChatZilla - IRC program that is faster, more reliable, and prettier than Mirc. Now, I only say all that because I never totally utilized Mirc to the fullest, nor did I really want to. It just makes things a lot easier to click one button in the Firefox bar than to go through the whole /join process that I had to in Mirc (a process that I was too lazy to work around, so meh.) I chill in #forum-m. Rock and roll.

4. FoxyTunes - Hip little extension that lets you control damn near any media player with buttons down in the bottom of the status bar there (or wherever the hell you want). Really customizable, I love this thing. My only gripe is that you can't open your playlist with it, but that's a small price to pay to not have to open up winamp each time a song you don't want to hear comes on. It supports the common keyboard shortcuts and whatnot as well.

5. Gmail Notifier - I'm so happy this thing's here. I hate having to go all the way to the Gmail page to check mine. This thing eliminates the need to make the journey. Click, log in, and then it opens your Gmail inbox in a new tab. Simple, but awesome.

Other ones I use that aren't visible are:

Copy Plain Text - If you use Blogger and try to paste anything into their janky posting system, you probably know that half the time it'll be a complete whore and attempt to recreate the text in the original format, thus fucking the entire post up beyond recognition. Copy Plain Text is a godsend. It copies whatever you're...copying...in plain text, no formatting, no anything. Just pure, unadulterated text. If it were a small child, I would pick it up and tell it it was pretty cool or something. Kids like that sort of crap.

Advanced Tab Settings - I hear that this is integrated into the newest version, but if you don't have the newest one, get this. Makes Tabbed Browsing a shitpile nicer. Oh, and if you're using Firefox without using Tabbed Browsing, you're missing one of the best parts of the whole Firefox thing.

IE View - Sometimes - and hopefully this will be fixed in the next update - Firefox doesn't display pages formatted for IE properly. This lets you right-click the link to the messed page and opens it in IE. Helpful, but shouldn't need to be there. Stupid IE.

That's all, I'm thinking.

Oh, and Sarah's blog will be here. Needed to fix that link from before.

Moment of Zen: It's how you look and how you feel, you must have a heart of steel. Why do I keep Fuckin' Up?

No comments: